Plans for Liberation 75
Plans for Liberation 75 in Jersey have been radically reshaped to enable Islanders to celebrate the Island’s national day safely during ‘Stay at Home’ and social distancing measures.
The updated programme also aims to ensure there is a balanced offering that enables everyone to take part.
Highlights on Liberation Day include:
• Virtual States Sitting: the annual Sitting of the States Assembly, will take place at 10.30am – but this year, it will be a virtual sitting to enable States Members to observe the Island’s milestone anniversary from home during ‘Stay at Home’ measures. Islanders can watch the sitting live online at statesassembly.gov.je or tune in live on BBC Radio Jersey
• Live formal address: a live formal address will be screened for Islanders at 11.30am, from the Bailiff, Mr Timothy Le Cocq. His Excellency the Lieutenant Governor, Air Chief Marshal Stephen Dalton GCB will then read a message from Her Majesty the Queen; and the Dean of Jersey, the Very Reverend Michael Keirle will lead an ecumenical service, encouraging the different Christian Churches to unite. During this part of the celebrations, the Union Flag will be raised at the Pomme d’Or Hotel, and there will be renditions of the National Anthem and ‘Beautiful Jersey’. All of this will be live-streamed via Facebook Live on the @Lib75Jsy page
Liberation 75 pop-up parties: every household in Jersey is invited to host their own Liberation Day ‘pop-up party’ from 3pm until 7pm. Those who live on their own can
share in the fun by extending their pop-up party to friends and family virtually, via Zoom. Islanders are encouraged to share photos of their parties via Instagram, Facebook or Twitter using the hashtag #Lib75PopUpParty
• Lib Stream – virtual skyline party: this will be Jersey’s first Island-wide virtual skyline party! From the embankment of Fort Regent, DJs Stefan Le Rouseau, Warren Le Sueur, Simon Gasston and Colin Moore and will blare out funk, pop, house and electro tunes across the centre of Jersey’s capital, St Helier. Watch, listen and join in the party from the comfort of your own home, via Facebook live on @Lib75Jsy!
Other highlights in the run-up to Liberation 75 include:
• a collaboration between the Liberation 75 Team and the Channel Island Occupation Society to offer virtual tours of Jersey’s best-preserved collection of German Second World War bunkers
• Lib Me Entertain You – we’re looking for novice singers, aspiring TikTok-ers and established musicians to help uplift our community during ‘Stay Home’ measures! We’re asking Islanders to film themselves and send their TikToks or videos to us so that we can share them on the official Liberation 75 social media channels using #LibMeEntertainYou
#LiberationDecoration competitions – children are encouraged to design their own Liberation Bunting, while adults are invited to decorate the exterior of their homes, Liberation-themed. There are first, second and third prizes to be won for children and adults alike
• Complementary gifts for Islanders, including free bunting which can be collected from any Waitrose store in Jersey; an exclusive, commemorative booklet which will be delivered to every household in the Island; as well as limited-edition commemorative coins for senior citizens and pin badges for all school students